|UTRECHT, 17/11/06 – The number of children coming up against the police due to a sexual offence has tripled in the past fifteen years.
In 1990, police had contact with just under 400 minors on a sexual offence. Fifteen years later, this was nearly 1,200, the Police Academy in Utrecht reported at a study day on the subject. The numbers having to answer for rape increased particularly explosively.
Because most sexual offences are not reported to the police, the figures likely represent only a fraction of the total. Police Academy researcher Anton van Wijk confirmed that he suspects that less than 10 percent of the victims report sexual offences.
November 17, 2006
November 4, 2006
|By Abul Kasem||To listen to this article
podcast click on speaker
Also visit this blog
Islamists living in the infidel West are greatly alarmed and deeply perplexed after the September terrorist attack in
America. After 9-11, many of them are doing overtime to search the ‘goodies’ from the Qur’an and are desperate to prove that Islam is a religion of unbound mercy to their host countries. They repeatedly quote a handful of these ‘goldies‘ from the ‘Meccan Verses’ of the Qur’an, which are milder in tone than the ones descended on
Medina. They carefully hide the unconscionable, intolerable, barbaric verses that litter the almost entire Qur’an by saying that ‘those verses are out of context’ and are not applicable to the infidels who have given them a chance for a better life and have accepted them as their own countrymen. Nothing can be worse than this hide and seek game of the Islamists living in the West. It is in the interest of all the non-Muslims (as well as the innocent Muslims who have very little knowledge about ‘real Islam’) that the truth must be told.
The message is very clear. Those Islamists living in the West quote those ‘goodies’ from the Qur’an are actually showing the dead ‘Meccan Islam‘ to the vast majority of the ignorant non-Muslims (as well as half-informed Muslims) to camouflage the most up to date version of Islam; i.e. the living and breathing ‘
Medina Islam‘. The strategies of these Islamists are also very clear:
· When in the West or in the land of the infidels or when weak, then practice ‘Meccan Islam’.
· When in Islamic paradises or when the number of Muslims becomes sizable in an infidels land, then practice ‘
Medina Islam’ or the ‘real Islam’.
The sooner the humanity discovers this double face of Islam (a la Roman god Janus) the quicker will it be saved from the further catastrophe of the like of 9-11.
So, how do we know about the ‘living and breathing Medina Islam‘? Here is the answer.
In order to understand the ‘real Islam’ we must look at Qur’an in chronological order and not the way it is published. The chronological order shows which verses are canceled and which verses are replaced. It is meaningless to study and to explain Qur’an without the knowledge of its currency. Many verses in the Qur’an have been replaced by other verses.
The Qur’an itself talks about this in the following verses:
God does not abrogate any verse but substitutes something similar or better…2:106
God removes (abrogates?) what He wills…13:39
God substitutes one revelation with another; God has the mother of the Book…16:101
These verses have created a lot of confusions among many. However, one thing is certain. It is this. God does change His mind and that that change can be very dramatic. In many cases, the matter of abrogation may involve life and death situation. So, it is extremely important (especially for the ignorant non-Muslims) to know which verses are applicable to them and which verses are not. The most important among these verses are the ones containing the provisions of fighting the infidels. There was a time when fighting was prohibited and there was (rather is) a time when fighting became compulsory.
Those verses revealed in
Mecca are considered to be the benign and non-violent type. There are 87 Meccan verse and 27
Medina verses (this may vary slightly but we shall work with these numbers). Thus, there are total 114 suras (or chapters) in Qur’an.
Medina verses contain the provisions of fighting because it was in
Medina that Mohammad received the green light (read signal) from God to fight the infidels. So, as a guide we can conclude that the verses with a chronology order of 87 or more are the replacement for the Meccan verses regarding the treatment of the unbelievers.
In this short discourse, I shall try to elucidate how we can eliminate the confusion regarding the ‘goodies’ from the Islamists and the ‘bashings’ from the secularists/freethinkers/infidels.
Please note that the chronology order of the verses are indicated in bold ( ).
We can divide the propagation of Islam by Mohammad in four distinct phases. These phases are:
1. Peaceful persuasion
2. Fighting for defense
3. Limited attack
4. Open aggression
Phase 1: Peaceful persuasion stage.
· A policy of peaceful co-existence with the pagans of
· Give and take strategy with the pagans and the hypocrites.
· Jews and Christians (people of the Book) were considered as friends.
· Mohammad was almost like the Buddha preaching love, forgiveness, non-violence, and peace.
· Only the pagans of
Mecca were considered as enemies (i.e. enemy list contains only one group).
(Note: To save time and space I have given the main messages of the verses omitting the complete verses. Click HERE if you want to read the complete verses)
1. Be patient and bear with those who deny the truth; God will deal with them…73:10, 11 (3)
2. ‘To you is your religion, to me is mine’…109:1- 6 (8)
3. Be patient with the evil doers…38:15-17 (38)
4. Show patience to the pagans…20:130 (42)
5. Don’t be in a haste to fight…19:83, 84 (44)
6. Be patient with the unbelievers (pagans); God’s way will prevail…20:134, 135 (45)
7. Mohammad is not sent to dispose of people’s affairs…17:54 (50)
8. God guides those whom He pleases; rewards will be in paradise…10:25, 26 (51)
9. God will call into account the pagans who slander the Qur’an…15:91-93 (54)
10. It is not God’s job to see if people believe the truth or not…6:104 (55)
11. Turn away from those rejecting faith and proclaim peace on them…43:88, 89 (69)
12. Invite the unbelievers (pagans) with beautiful preaching and gracious arguments; be patient and do not retaliate…16:125, 126 (70)
13. Leave the unbelievers (pagans) alone…23:54 (74)
14. Repeal evil with good deeds…23:96 (74)
15. Leave the unbelievers alone and wait in patience for God to punish them…52:45, 47, 48 (76)
16. Mohammad is only a warner and not an enforcer…67:26 (77)
Phase 2: Fighting for defense stage
· Mohammed along with his handful followers migrated to
Medina (622 AD). Some tribes of
Medina accepted him as their leader.
· Mohammed and his gang started raids on passing caravans of the Meccans to acquire the wherewithal for survival.
· Mohammad won the battle of Badr (same year of migration i.e.622 AD) which bolstered his morale for further raids on Meccan caravans.
· After several years of stay in
Medina, God gave Mohammad permission to launch defensive war.
· Enemies were the pagans of
Mecca and the hypocrites (note: the enemy list includes two groups now).
1. Permission to fight for self defense is granted…22:39-41 (105)
2. Rewards for Jihad is announced…22:58 (105)
Phase 3: More defensively aggressive stage
· Mohammad expected the Jews of Medina to accept him as their new Moses.
· The Jews rejected Mohammad as their new apostle.
· Mohammad included the Jews as his enemy and started to raid their sanctuaries.
· Enemies of Mohammad now were pagans, hypocrites, and the Jews (note: the enemy list now contains three).
· Mohammad was a little bit forgiving to the defeated Jews. He gave them a chance to live in their lands provided they paid him fifty percent of their agricultural produce of land.
· This way Mohammad acquired the means of a guaranteed livelihood for his horde of soldiers.
· The battle of Uhud (623 AD) was fought. Muslims suffered a severe beating in the battle.
· The battle of trench (625 AD) took place with huge loss of lives. Mohammad managed to win this battle.
· Treaty of Hudaibiya (626 AD) was signed with the pagans of
Mecca ensuring ten years of peace. Mohammad was allowed to visit Kaba along with his followers during the pilgrimage season.
· Battle of Khaibar (627 AD) took place. The Jews lost the battle and surrendered unconditionally. Mohmmad ordered the beheading of around 700 adult male surrendered Jews and took 17 years old Jewess Safiya as a war booty and made her his wife.
1. Forgive and overlook the unbelieving Jews; God will take care of them…2:109 (87)
2. Fight defensively the Meccan pagans but if they cease hostility then stop fighting except for the oppressors…2:190-194 (87)
3. Fighting against the Meccan pagans is prescribed after the passing of the month of pilgrimage (Zulhaj)…2:216, 217 (87)
4. ‘No compulsion in religion’; do not force the defeated enemy to embrace Islam; but they will be thrown in hell…2:256, 257 (87)
5. Spoils of war belongs to God and Mohammad…8:1 (88)
6. Strike terror in the hearts of the unbelievers; cut the necks and finger tips of those who oppose God and Mohammad…8:12, 13 (88)
7. When you meet, the unbelievers in hostility attack them and never turn back from them. If you retreat except for a strategic reason then God will punish you and will send you to hell…8:15-16 (88)
8. Keep on fighting until the persecution stops and Islam is established; one-fifth of booty belongs to God and Mohammad…8:39-41 (88)
9. Obey Mohammad, be united and persevere in fighting…8:45, 46 (88)
10. If you defeat the enemy then teach them with treachery and terror; if they ask for peace then give them peace…8:57-61 (88)
11. Rouse the believers to fight with perseverance, God will help by increasing your strength…8:65 (88)
12. Continue killing and do not take prisoners until the land is subdued then enjoy the war booty…8:67-69 (88)
13. Martyr’s sins are blotted out and they go to paradise…3:157, 169-171, 195 (89)
14. Can take women captives as concubines in addition to wives…33:50 (90)
15. There is a great reward for fighting against the friends of Satan…4:74-78 (92)
16. Fight and rouse other believers to fight; God will restrain the fury of the unbelievers…4:84 (92)
17. Kill the hypocrites if they turn renegades…4:89 (92)
18. Higher grade for fighting for God…4:95, 96 (92)
19. Guaranteed reward for fighting in the cause of God…4:100 (92)
20. Whether a fighter kills or is killed, he is admitted in paradise to reside there permanently…22:58, 59 (103)
21. Struggle for God’s cause…22:78 (103)
22. Can’t lag behind in fighting for God…48:15-16 (111)
23. Muslims are compassionate with each other but are strong to fight against the unbelievers…48:29 (111)
Phase 4: Offensive war or open declaration of attack to spread Islam
This phase is the stage of open offensive war against all the unbelievers. This phase started in 630 AD after Mohammad re-entered
Mecca and captured Kaba from the pagans. This is the phase, which is currently valid for all Muslims.
· Permission was granted by God to declare offensive war against all non-Muslims.
· Kill the pagans and humble the Jews and the Christians through Jizya tax.
· Tabuk expedition (late 630 AD) is the first war against the Christians.
· The world is divided into two houses, viz. House of Islam (Darul Islam) and the House of war (Darul Harb).
· All Muslims must fight to convert the Darul Harb into Darul Islam.
· This is the final teaching of Qur’an and so it is valid today and for future (that is, for eternity).
· Christians are included in the list of enemies (that is, the list now grows to four).
· Verse 9:5 (also called the verse of the sword) replaces all verses showing mercy, love, tolerance and forgiveness to all non-Muslims.
1. Any religion other than Islam is not acceptable…3:85 (89)
2. Kill (execute by beheading)/crucify/torture who opposes Mohammad…5:33 (112)
3. Do not make friendship with the Jews and the Christians…5:51 (112)
4. After giving four months notice break all treaties with the pagans that they did not keep; those treaties with the pagans that they kept are to be honored to their full term; in future make no more peace treaties with the pagans and kill all pagans who do not accept Islam…9:1-6 (113)
5. Pagans who accept Islam are brothers of Muslims; those who break the agreement fight them…9:11, 12, 14, 15 (113)
6. Do not make friend or seek protection from the unbelievers (includes pagans, hypocrites, Jews and the Christians)…9:16 (113)
7. Unbelievers should not visit mosques or maintain the mosques of God; they will go to hell…9:17 (113)
8. Those who do Jihad are the highest in rank; they will dwell in paradise…9:19-22 (113)
9. The unbelievers are unclean, forbid them to enter Kaba…9:28 (113)
10. Fight against the Jews and the Christians until they are subdued and pay the Jizya tax with submission; God’s curse is on them…9:29-31 (113)
11. If you do not fight in the cause of God with whatever you have got then God will punish you with a serious punishment…9:38, 39, 41 (113)
12. If you fight for God then expect either martyrdom or paradise. The unbelievers can expect only punishment from God…9:52 (113)
13. Those who are able to fight for God but do not do so are rejected by God…9:90-96 (113)
14. Whether you slay or slain in Jihad, God has promised paradise for giving all in the cause of God…9:111 (113)
15. Fight the unbelievers surrounding you…9:122 (113)
So, what do we learn from the above list of Quranic verses? Are you confused? Of course you are. When the Islamists in the west are drumming, “Islam is peace. Islam is tolerance. Islam is merciful” who will not be confused by such contradictory statements! Let me tell you something. Actually there is no confusion whatsoever if we follow the simple rule on abrogation.
This simple doctrine of abrogation says that when there are confusions (i.e. contradictory statements in Qur’an), the later verses abrogate the former contradictory verses. The result is that only the latest category of verses remains valid without any doubt. That is why it is so important to know the chronological order of verses in Qur’an.
Let us hear from a modern translator (Yusuf Ali is too old) of the Qur’an and Hadith.
“So at first ‘the fighting’ was forbidden, then it was permitted and after that it was made obligatory against those who start ‘the fighting’ against you (Muslims) and against all those who worship others along with Allah”.
(Ref. Introduction section of the English translation of Sahih Bukhari by Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan, Medina Islamic University).
In the same section Dr M. Muhsin Khan writes further
, “Then Allah revealed in Sura Bara’at (9) the order to discard (all) the obligations (covenants, etc.) and commanded the Muslims to fight against all the pagans as well as against the people of the scriptures (Jews and Christians) if they do not embrace Islam, till they pay the Jizya (a tax levied on the Jews and Christians who do not embrace Islam and are under the protection of an Islamic government) with willing submission and feel themselves subdued (9:29). So they (Muslims) were not permitted to abandon ‘the fighting’ against them (Pagans, Jews and Christians) and to reconcile with them and to suspend hostilities against them for an unlimited period while they are strong and have the possibility of fighting against them.”
Jalaluddin Suyuti wrote Itqan fi ‘ulum-il-Qur’an in 1497 AD. This book is the Tafsir (explanation) of Qur’an and is highly regarded. It is a compulsory reading for any one who wants to study Qur’an for its ‘real meanings’. His another famous book is Istenbat al-Tanzeel. In this book
Suyuti wrote,”everything in the Qur’an about forgiveness is abrogated by verse 9:5“.
Please read that above quote again if you are really serious about Islam. Remember that this verse has a chronology order of 113 (Remember? There are 114 suras in Qur’an).
Islamic apologists often quote the following verses to portray the mercy and forgiveness in Islam.
To you is your religion and to me is mine…109:6
No compulsion in religion…2:256
Turn away from those who join false gods with Allah…15:94
Unfortunately, all those ‘goodies’ of Qur’an are canceled if we follow the Tafsir (explanation) of Suyuti and the doctrine of abrogation) regarding the verse of the sword (9:5).
Islamists love Ms. Karen Armstrong for her siding with them. Ms. Karen Armstrong writes to fool the non-Muslims in believing what George Bush is drumming, ‘Islam is a peaceful religion’. Any one who has a workable knowledge on Islamic matters knows for sure that her writings are very misleading and does not tell the truth at all. When Ms. Karen Armstrong writes by quoting verse 2:190
“the only permissible war (in the Qur’an is one of self defense. Muslims must not begin hostilities”, (Time magazine October 1, 2001)
she is clearly being dishonest in telling the truth about the phase four of Islamic war which calls all Muslims to declare a total war on the house of Harb (i.e. the infidels abodes). Phase four of Jihad is valid until all the people of the world are converted to Islam. Thus, today’s Muslims are in perpetual war with the infidels whether they (the Muslims) are in an Islamic paradise like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh (recently included, previously not), Iran …or in infidel lands like USA, UK, Canada, France…etc.
Here is another quote from Alsaylu Jarar (4:518-519) by Al-Shawkani. Shawkani is a famous writer on Islamic matters. His writings are authoritative and are used by the Jihadis to justify their merciless actions.
“Islam is unanimous about fighting the unbelievers and forcing them to Islam or submitting and paying Jizya tax (protection money for the Jews and the Christians only) or being killed. The verse about forgiving them are abrogated unanimously by the obligation of fighting in any case”.
Can Ms. Karen Armstrong and other Islamists living in the comfort of non-Muslim freethinking society refute the above assertion by an eminent Alim (Islamic scholar)?
Please note that verse 9:5 is a very important verse of Qur’an. This verse marks the transition from the phase of showing mercy (phase 1) and forgiveness to the unbelievers to the phase of open aggression on them (phase 4). As told before, this verse is known as the verse of the sword. This verse cancels all the verses containing mercy, tolerance, and forgiveness to the non-Muslims (as many as 111 to 124 verses; you got to scan the entire Qur’an; anything forgiving, merciful, friendship is out).
Also, note carefully how the chronology order increases as Mohammad turns from a non-violent (like Buddha) person to a fascist nazi like Hitler/Mussolini/Osama/Ayatollah. In fact, we can safely conclude that Mohammad was a saint before the chronology order of the Qur’an was below 87 but he became a fascist dictator after this.
Again note that the chronology order in the final phase of open aggression against all non-Muslims of the world (phase 4) is almost the end (113) chapter (sura) of Qur’an (Remember? There are 114 suras in Qur’an).
Is lying allowed in Islam? I must be a nut to ask such a question! Of course, not, you say. Lying is a great sin in Islam; at least the Islamists will let us believe this. This is a complete delusion. Muslims are allowed to tell lies in order to make the religion of Islam rule the world. Would you not believe me? See for yourself what Imam Ghazali (another supreme Islamic scholar) says:
“Speaking is a means to achieve objectives. If a praise worthy aim is attainable through both telling the truth and lying, it is unlawful to accomplish through lying because there is no need for it. When it is possible to achieve such an aim by lying but not by telling the truth, it is permissible to lie if attaining the goal is permissible “ (Ref: Ahmad Ibn Naqib al-Misri, The Reliance of the Traveller, translated by Nuh Ha Mim Keller , Amana publications, 1997, section r8.2, page 745).
And what could be the noblest goal of a Muslim than to make Islam rule world? This is the secret why the Islamists constantly lie about their religion when they are in West. Because, if they tell the truth, no one will be attracted to Islam.
Islamists often attack the secularists and freethinkers whenever they (secularists/freethinkers) quote the offensive verses of the Qur’an by ‘out of context’ arguments.
What could be more clear and forceful evidences / proofs than what has been told above that ‘out of context’ argument by the Islamic apologists is a total hoax?
*A double-faced head represented Janus, a Roman god.
Kasem writes from
Sydney, Australia. Comments could be made by writing to – firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: The author relied on the English Translation of Qur’an by A. Yusufali and the English Translation of Sahih Bukhari by Dr. M. Muhsin Khan. All references given are believed to be correct. However, the author is not responsible for any misconception that a reader may have due to his consultation of other sources.
October 29, 2006
BRUSSELS – The Inner Cabinet has agreed on measures to increase capacity in the country’s penal institutions.
October 21, 2006
EU Pays Allowances to Health workers and Teachers During Ramadan
RAMALLAH, October 18, 2006 (WAFA – PLO news agency) – Palestinian health
workers, teachers and other civil servants will receive a further allowance
of 1,500 NIS in their bank account this week from the Netherlands, Germany
and the UK, Netherlands Representative Office to the PNA said Wednesday in a
The Office said the disbursement of 20 million Euros is made in reply to a
request by President Abbas to the European Union for payment of emergency
allowances during Ramadan.
“70,000 of the poorest-paid public-sector workers will benefit from this
payment. They have received almost no salary for the past six months.In
addition, the European Commission will make available a payment of 1,000 NIS
to 90.000 so called social hardship cases (people who are unemployed and
have no other sources of income) for a total amount of 17 million Euros,”
reads the press release.
The European Union is concerned about the severe economic crisis in Gaza and
the West Bank. Figures from the Palestinian Poverty Monitor in October show
that the number of households below the poverty line has dramatically
Nowadays, 67 percent of the Palestinian people live below poverty level of
around 2,000 NIS per month for a family of two adults and four children.
The Temporary International Mechanism has been set up to ensure that aid
goes directly to the Palestinian people, without government intervention, to
reverse the worsening humanitarian situation in Gaza and the West Bank.
It was established by the European Union to support basic needs of the
Palestinian people, including health, education, social services, fuel and
“The EU stresses once more that the resumption of transfers of tax and
customs revenues collected by Israel on behalf of the Palestinian Authority
would have a significant impact on the Palestinian economy,” the press
The EU has continuously called on Israel to release the funds and recently
asked the Palestinian Authority to consider the resumption of such transfers
via the Temporary International Mechanism to improve the economic and
humanitarian conditions in the West Bank and Gaza.
September 2, 2006
The Belgian authorities have destroyed archives and records relating to the persecution and deportation of Jews in Belgium in the 1930s and 1940s. Some of this happened as recently as the late 1990s. This was revealed during hearings in the Belgian Senate last Spring. Though the Senate report dates from 4 May the Belgian press has not yet mentioned the affair. The Senate report says that “documents about the period 1930-1950 have been destroyed on a massive scale.”
The systematic destructions of the records of police and judiciary from the 1930s and ’40s happened chiefly in Brussels and Wallonia, the French-speaking south of Belgium. The Senate report states that in Flanders, the Dutch-speaking north of the country, archives have been saved thanks to conscientious archivists. “This policy – of having competent archivists manage dead archives – contrasts with the disastrous situation at the offices of the public prosecutors in Brussels and Wallonia.”
While the records about the persecution of the Antwerp Jewry have been kept intact, documents about the fate of the Jews in Brussels and in French-speaking cities with large pre-war Jewish communities, such as Charleroi and Liège, were purposely destroyed. In Charleroi all the archives relating to the 1930s and the war years have vanished. In Brussels the judicial archives are present “until the early 1930s, while there is (almost) nothing left of the period thereafter,” the report says, adding that “Reference is often made to the 1944 fire of the Palais de Justice to explain this lack of archives […] However, there is no doubt that large parts of the Brussels judicial wartime archives were destroyed after 1944.”
The report says that some archives disappeared very recently, during the reform of the Belgian police forces in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when the Gendarmerie was abolished and the Federal Police was instituted. Crucial parts of the Gendarmerie archives vanished in the process.
In Charleroi the archives of both the municipal police as well as the judicial police were completely destroyed in the late 1970s. Before the war Charleroi had a relatively large Jewish community which was all but exterminated during the war, while in Antwerp a significant proportion of the Jews managed to survive. Yet in Belgium no-one is familiar with the extermination of the Walloon Jewry, while Antwerp is regularly blamed for having been a “center of anti-Semitism.” By destroying paper trails people are made to forget that certain events ever took place.
Hugo Vandenberghe, the leader of the Flemish Christian-Democrats, suggested that the destruction of the archives “may have had a political motive.” Senator Vandenberghe referred to the anti-Semitism of the Belgian authorities in the 1930s. The historian Nico Wouters told the Senators during the hearings that even after the war the Belgian authorities continued to arrest German Jews who had survived the holocaust by going into hiding, under the pretext that they were “citizens of a hostile nation.”
Records relating to the so-called “phantom trains” have also disappeared. The “phantom trains” were convoys of “unpatriotic” Belgians, such as Flemish-Nationalists and Communists, and non-Belgian citizens, most of them Jewish fugitives from Germany and Poland. They were arrested by the Belgian authorities at the beginning of the war and deported to France.
Thousands of Jewish families had fled to Belgium in the late 1930s. They had not been welcome. After the German annexation of Austria in March 1938, Charles du Bus de Warnaffe, the then Belgian Minister of Justice, ordered the Belgian embassy in Vienna to deny visas to Jews. The Minister, a Walloon member of the Catholic Party, opined in the Belgian Parliament (22 Nov. 1938) that the Jews had “for centuries constituted a problem in Europe.” In an article he called them an “extremely unreliable” people; “they have no word of honour and do not keep it.” Charles du Bus de Warnaffe became Minister of Justice again after the war, and gave the death penalty to Flemish-Nationalists who had fought with the Germans on the Eastern Front.
In January 1940 the Belgian King Leopold III, the father of the present King Albert II and an outspoken anti-Semite, told the Belgian government: “The number of Israelites that have entered the country illegally since September 1939 is estimated to be 30,000. Action against them cannot be harsh enough.”
When German troops invaded Belgium on 10 May 1940, the Belgian authorities rounded up thousands of “unpatriotic” Belgians and foreigners, often entire families. Their exact number is unknown, as the records have been been destroyed. In Antwerp alone, however, 3,000 suspects were arrested. The majority of them were Jews; about 400 were (non-Jewish) German citizens and 20 were Flemish-Nationalists. Citizens from allied and neutral countries were arrested as well.
The prisoners were stowed in railway wagons and deported to France. One victim later recalled: “It took our train seven days to get from Brussels to Orléans. Under a torrid heat, locked up with 40 people, including women and children, in a hermetically sealed wagon where we had to stay day and night, we suffered from hunger, a lack of air and especially from thirst. We were left for 43 hours without receiving even a drop of water. […] Many people died en route.” The exact number of the victims is unknown.
Most records relating to the “phantom trains” have disappeared, but one case, involving 79 prisoners, is well-known because it included a prominent Flemish politician, Joris van Severen, the leader of a fervently pro-Belgian Fascist party. The group was made up of 21 Belgians (including an agent of the British Intelligence Service) and 58 non-Belgians: 19 Jews, 15 non-Jewish Germans, 9 Italians (including at least 4 Communist opponents of Mussolini), 6 Dutchmen (including an 18-year-old girl with her mother and grandmother), 3 Luxemburgians, 2 citizens of neutral Switzerland, a Spaniard, a Dane, a Frenchman and an English-speaking Canadian. French soldiers gone berserk massacred 21 of them at the French town of Abbeville. The victims included the Canadian, the Dutch grandmother, a German Catholic monk, a Hungarian Jew, a Czech Jew, a Communist Brussels town councillor and Joris van Severen and his deputy.
Thousands of civilians deported by the Belgians on the “phantom trains” were released by the Wehrmacht, the German army, after the surrender of France. Their number included many Jews. They were the only Jews ever liberated by Hitler’s army. The Wehrmacht allowed them to return to Belgium. However, 3,537 Jews holding German and Austrian passports were kept imprisoned. This group later ended up in Auschwitz, where they were murdered. They were the only Auschwitz victims who had been arrested at the order of a Western goverment. Leo Frenssen, an Antwerp Flemish-Nationalist and pacifist member of the Belgian Parliament, who had also been imprisoned in the South of France, tried in vain to get his Jewish co-prisoners released.
In July 1940 General Eggert Reeder, the head of the Wehrmacht in Brussels, had Robert De Foy, the boss of the Belgian secret police, arrested for the deportations. The SS, however, immediately ordered that De Foy be released. Reeder received this order personally by telephone from Reinhard Heydrich, the head of the German State Security, the Reichssicherheidshauptamt (RSHA), in Berlin. In a 1943 letter to Heinrich Himmler Reeder explained that it emerged that “De Foy had in the months preceding the invasion closely collaborated with the RSHA and with Heydrich himself, to whom he had provided important material.”
After the war Robert De Foy resumed his position as head of the Belgian secret police. No wonder no-one ever investigated how and on whose orders the Belgian secret service had assisted Heydrich before the war. Nor did Belgium ever pay damages to the “phantom train” victims. On the contrary, it even refused to repatriate the bodies of the 21 victims in Abbeville.
August 23, 2006
BRUSSELS — Dyab Abou Jahjah has returned to Belgium four weeks after leaving the country to allegedly help the Lebanese resistance against Israel.
The controversial founder of the Arab European League (AEL) left Antwerp for his homeland of Lebanon at the start of the Israeli offensive against Hezbollah.
Abou Jahjah had said he was planning to assist the Shiite organisation against Israel’s attacks.
He refused at the time to elaborate further, but later wrote on the AEL website that he had started a journey that might be his last.
And now, upon his return to Belgium, Abou Jahjah is again tightlipped about his actions in southern Lebanon.
Flemish Interest had earlier said Abou Jahjah should not be allowed to return to Belgium.
“There is no way back after he said on television and in newspapers that he openly supports the side of the Islamic fundamentalist terror organisation,” Flemish Interest leader Filip Dewinter said.
“Abou Jahjah cannot and may never step back into this country.”
Abou Jahjah is the driving force behind the AEL, which campaigns for immigrant Islamic rights in Belgium and the Netherlands. The Flemish Interest has long campaigned against immigration and the continued entry of Muslims into Belgium.
[Copyright Expatica News 2006]
There is also the amazing case of journalist Paul Belien, who edits the Brussels Journal, a pro-American, Euroskeptic, anti-Islamist blog. In February, the blog was one of the few news sources to republish the notorious Danish cartoons of the prophet Mohammad, thereby attracting some two million unique visits. It also attracted extraordinary scrutiny from the Flemish newsweekly Knack. Noting that Mr. Belien’s blog had been cited by Middle East scholar Daniel Pipes, Knack described the link as “no coincidence,” but rather a “deliberate provocation by the neocons,” the ultimate aim of which was to make Americans and Europeans believe “that all Muslims are violent and dangerous, after which the clash in Palestine, Iran and Syria can really kick off.”But that was as nothing compared to the reaction Mr. Belien provoked by an article following the Van Holsbeeck murder, in which he described the killers as “predators” and called for Belgium to decriminalize the possession of self-defense weapons (pepper-spray is what he says he had mainly in mind).
Two weeks after the article appeared, Mr. Belien received a letter from the Center for Equal Opportunities and Opposition to Racism, a government-mandated body whose mission is to “assist victims of discrimination” and “sensitize the general public on anti-discrimination.” (Belgium has one of the strongest anti-discrimination regimes anywhere.) Mr. Belien’s article, according to the CEOOR, constituted an “incitement to violence”; he was ordered to remove it from his blog or face state prosecution. He complied. In the meantime, he says he received emails with pictures of burned corpses and messages reading, “This is what is going to happen to you.”
Mr. Belien has since been questioned by the police for homeschooling his five children, four of whom have moved on to university or beyond. Part of Mr. Belien’s problem, surely, is that his wife is a member in parliament for the Vlaams Belang. But whatever her politics, Mr. Belien is not a member of the party, and nothing on the Brussels Journal suggests that it is a party vehicle. His chief crime, rather, seems to be that he has laid bare, to an English-speaking audience, the lesser-known charms of the Belgian state.
August 14, 2006
“The Belgian government needs to understand that a number of people here in the United States are now carefully watching the outcome of this case.
Should government harassment of the Brussels Journal continue, should Paul Belien and/or any of his collaborators be punished in any way by the government of Belgium for the public expression of their opinions, and above all, should the Brussels Journal be shut down, the government of Belgium should know that this issue will not simply disappear.
On the contrary, it will become a great deal more prominent, and will surely affect the attitudes of the American people toward the government of Belgium and the people of Europe.”