December 27, 2006
December 14, 2006
November 16, 2006
In 1801, when Tripoli demanded immediate payment of $225,000 and an annual payment of $25,000, President Thomas Jefferson felt enough was enough. He raised the call “millions for Defence, not a cent for tribute”, and built a navy. The First Barbary War (1801-1805) dealt a lethal blow to these thugs. Thus, Jefferson’s thump, rather than Washington’s tributes, tamed Islam.
|Assertion alone defeats jihad|
|The Article 11 of the treaty says, “As the Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion, as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquillity of Musselmen, and as the said states never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahomitan nation…” This is obsequious. In 1796, the US was a young trans-Atlantic republic with hardly any navy beyond its territorial waters. Independence actually deprived it of the British naval protection it had enjoyed as a colony.|
|By what stretch of imagination could the US have harmed Muslims in Africa or West Asia? The Barbary States, on the other hand, were living off Christian maritime commerce for nearly three centuries. They raided European ships, coasts and islands to plunder merchandise, enslave men and women, and extort ransom. Their reach was as far as England and Iceland. Two Christian orders – Trinitarian and Mercedarians – were devoted to secure release of Christian captives by doling out ransom.|
|This was, however, more than plain banditry. Barbary piracy had enjoyed the patronage of the Ottoman empire. Booty-taking, enslaving ‘infidels’ are sanctified in Islamic theology under the name of Ma’l-e-Ghanimat (legitimate loot), which the Barbary pirates adopted as the mainstay of their economy.|
|In 1801, when Tripoli demanded immediate payment of $225,000 and an annual payment of $25,000, President Thomas Jefferson felt enough was enough. He raised the call “millions for Defence, not a cent for tribute”, and built a navy. The First Barbary War (1801-1805) dealt a lethal blow to these thugs. Thus, Jefferson’s thump, rather than Washington’s tributes, tamed Islam.|
Statement by President Amy Gutmann:The student had the right to wear the costume just as I, and others, have a right to criticize his wearing of it.
Now, what is that little green book he is reading? Allah´s: “Gardening for Dhimmies”?.
Each year, the president hosts a Halloween party for Penn students. More than 700 students attend. They all crowd around to have their picture taken with me in costume. This year, one student who had a toy gun in hand had his picture taken with me before it was obvious to me that he was dressed as a suicide bomber. He posted the photo on a website and it was picked up on several other websites.
The costume is clearly offensive and I was offended by it. As soon as I realized what his costume was, I refused to take any more pictures with him, as he requested. The student had the right to wear the costume just as I, and others, have a right to criticize his wearing of it.
If the student had worn an SS-Totenkopfverband-Uniform og NKVD ditto would she have recogniced this, too?
November 13, 2006
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Democrats, who won control of the U.S. Congress, said on Sunday they will push for a phased withdrawal of American troops from Iraq to begin in four to six months, but the White House cautioned against fixing timetables.
“First order of business is to change the direction of Iraq policy,” said Sen. Carl Levin, a Michigan Democrat who is expected to be chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee in the new Congress.
November 9, 2006
US election Jihate….From what was observed, many ballots were marked off with 1 vote….for Turfe. Just goes to show how much they care about all the other issues. They have an agenda & we are losing a damn fighting battle !!!! Sad part is…We still outnumber them here…so far.
Open Hezbollah supporter and extremist Muslim, David Turfe, was unfortunately elected a Michigan District Court Judge in Dearborn Heights 20th District….Remember the Hezbollah rally I attended at the Bint Jebail Cultural Center a/k/a the Hezbollah Social Club, at the height of the war between Hezbollah and Israel–where speakers made a plethora of anti-American, anti-Semitic, anti-Christian speeches? Turfe was there campaigning, and openly supporting and cheering all of those statements….And his close relative, Mohammed Turfe (I’m told that’s his brother), was one of the speakers uttering those statements….Haj Mohammed Turfe, Founding Chairman of the Bint Jebail Cultural Center, gleefully and repeatedly spoke of how “only a few thousand Jews will survive Armageddon.” This mantra, repeated often throughout the event, got raucous, deafening applause and cheers.
From what was observed, many ballots were marked off with 1 vote….for Turfe. Just goes to show how much they care about all the other issues. They have an agenda & we are losing a damn fighting battle !!!! Sad part is…We still outnumber them here…so far.
November 4, 2006
|By Abul Kasem||To listen to this article
podcast click on speaker
Also visit this blog
Islamists living in the infidel West are greatly alarmed and deeply perplexed after the September terrorist attack in
America. After 9-11, many of them are doing overtime to search the ‘goodies’ from the Qur’an and are desperate to prove that Islam is a religion of unbound mercy to their host countries. They repeatedly quote a handful of these ‘goldies‘ from the ‘Meccan Verses’ of the Qur’an, which are milder in tone than the ones descended on
Medina. They carefully hide the unconscionable, intolerable, barbaric verses that litter the almost entire Qur’an by saying that ‘those verses are out of context’ and are not applicable to the infidels who have given them a chance for a better life and have accepted them as their own countrymen. Nothing can be worse than this hide and seek game of the Islamists living in the West. It is in the interest of all the non-Muslims (as well as the innocent Muslims who have very little knowledge about ‘real Islam’) that the truth must be told.
The message is very clear. Those Islamists living in the West quote those ‘goodies’ from the Qur’an are actually showing the dead ‘Meccan Islam‘ to the vast majority of the ignorant non-Muslims (as well as half-informed Muslims) to camouflage the most up to date version of Islam; i.e. the living and breathing ‘
Medina Islam‘. The strategies of these Islamists are also very clear:
· When in the West or in the land of the infidels or when weak, then practice ‘Meccan Islam’.
· When in Islamic paradises or when the number of Muslims becomes sizable in an infidels land, then practice ‘
Medina Islam’ or the ‘real Islam’.
The sooner the humanity discovers this double face of Islam (a la Roman god Janus) the quicker will it be saved from the further catastrophe of the like of 9-11.
So, how do we know about the ‘living and breathing Medina Islam‘? Here is the answer.
In order to understand the ‘real Islam’ we must look at Qur’an in chronological order and not the way it is published. The chronological order shows which verses are canceled and which verses are replaced. It is meaningless to study and to explain Qur’an without the knowledge of its currency. Many verses in the Qur’an have been replaced by other verses.
The Qur’an itself talks about this in the following verses:
God does not abrogate any verse but substitutes something similar or better…2:106
God removes (abrogates?) what He wills…13:39
God substitutes one revelation with another; God has the mother of the Book…16:101
These verses have created a lot of confusions among many. However, one thing is certain. It is this. God does change His mind and that that change can be very dramatic. In many cases, the matter of abrogation may involve life and death situation. So, it is extremely important (especially for the ignorant non-Muslims) to know which verses are applicable to them and which verses are not. The most important among these verses are the ones containing the provisions of fighting the infidels. There was a time when fighting was prohibited and there was (rather is) a time when fighting became compulsory.
Those verses revealed in
Mecca are considered to be the benign and non-violent type. There are 87 Meccan verse and 27
Medina verses (this may vary slightly but we shall work with these numbers). Thus, there are total 114 suras (or chapters) in Qur’an.
Medina verses contain the provisions of fighting because it was in
Medina that Mohammad received the green light (read signal) from God to fight the infidels. So, as a guide we can conclude that the verses with a chronology order of 87 or more are the replacement for the Meccan verses regarding the treatment of the unbelievers.
In this short discourse, I shall try to elucidate how we can eliminate the confusion regarding the ‘goodies’ from the Islamists and the ‘bashings’ from the secularists/freethinkers/infidels.
Please note that the chronology order of the verses are indicated in bold ( ).
We can divide the propagation of Islam by Mohammad in four distinct phases. These phases are:
1. Peaceful persuasion
2. Fighting for defense
3. Limited attack
4. Open aggression
Phase 1: Peaceful persuasion stage.
· A policy of peaceful co-existence with the pagans of
· Give and take strategy with the pagans and the hypocrites.
· Jews and Christians (people of the Book) were considered as friends.
· Mohammad was almost like the Buddha preaching love, forgiveness, non-violence, and peace.
· Only the pagans of
Mecca were considered as enemies (i.e. enemy list contains only one group).
(Note: To save time and space I have given the main messages of the verses omitting the complete verses. Click HERE if you want to read the complete verses)
1. Be patient and bear with those who deny the truth; God will deal with them…73:10, 11 (3)
2. ‘To you is your religion, to me is mine’…109:1- 6 (8)
3. Be patient with the evil doers…38:15-17 (38)
4. Show patience to the pagans…20:130 (42)
5. Don’t be in a haste to fight…19:83, 84 (44)
6. Be patient with the unbelievers (pagans); God’s way will prevail…20:134, 135 (45)
7. Mohammad is not sent to dispose of people’s affairs…17:54 (50)
8. God guides those whom He pleases; rewards will be in paradise…10:25, 26 (51)
9. God will call into account the pagans who slander the Qur’an…15:91-93 (54)
10. It is not God’s job to see if people believe the truth or not…6:104 (55)
11. Turn away from those rejecting faith and proclaim peace on them…43:88, 89 (69)
12. Invite the unbelievers (pagans) with beautiful preaching and gracious arguments; be patient and do not retaliate…16:125, 126 (70)
13. Leave the unbelievers (pagans) alone…23:54 (74)
14. Repeal evil with good deeds…23:96 (74)
15. Leave the unbelievers alone and wait in patience for God to punish them…52:45, 47, 48 (76)
16. Mohammad is only a warner and not an enforcer…67:26 (77)
Phase 2: Fighting for defense stage
· Mohammed along with his handful followers migrated to
Medina (622 AD). Some tribes of
Medina accepted him as their leader.
· Mohammed and his gang started raids on passing caravans of the Meccans to acquire the wherewithal for survival.
· Mohammad won the battle of Badr (same year of migration i.e.622 AD) which bolstered his morale for further raids on Meccan caravans.
· After several years of stay in
Medina, God gave Mohammad permission to launch defensive war.
· Enemies were the pagans of
Mecca and the hypocrites (note: the enemy list includes two groups now).
1. Permission to fight for self defense is granted…22:39-41 (105)
2. Rewards for Jihad is announced…22:58 (105)
Phase 3: More defensively aggressive stage
· Mohammad expected the Jews of Medina to accept him as their new Moses.
· The Jews rejected Mohammad as their new apostle.
· Mohammad included the Jews as his enemy and started to raid their sanctuaries.
· Enemies of Mohammad now were pagans, hypocrites, and the Jews (note: the enemy list now contains three).
· Mohammad was a little bit forgiving to the defeated Jews. He gave them a chance to live in their lands provided they paid him fifty percent of their agricultural produce of land.
· This way Mohammad acquired the means of a guaranteed livelihood for his horde of soldiers.
· The battle of Uhud (623 AD) was fought. Muslims suffered a severe beating in the battle.
· The battle of trench (625 AD) took place with huge loss of lives. Mohammad managed to win this battle.
· Treaty of Hudaibiya (626 AD) was signed with the pagans of
Mecca ensuring ten years of peace. Mohammad was allowed to visit Kaba along with his followers during the pilgrimage season.
· Battle of Khaibar (627 AD) took place. The Jews lost the battle and surrendered unconditionally. Mohmmad ordered the beheading of around 700 adult male surrendered Jews and took 17 years old Jewess Safiya as a war booty and made her his wife.
1. Forgive and overlook the unbelieving Jews; God will take care of them…2:109 (87)
2. Fight defensively the Meccan pagans but if they cease hostility then stop fighting except for the oppressors…2:190-194 (87)
3. Fighting against the Meccan pagans is prescribed after the passing of the month of pilgrimage (Zulhaj)…2:216, 217 (87)
4. ‘No compulsion in religion’; do not force the defeated enemy to embrace Islam; but they will be thrown in hell…2:256, 257 (87)
5. Spoils of war belongs to God and Mohammad…8:1 (88)
6. Strike terror in the hearts of the unbelievers; cut the necks and finger tips of those who oppose God and Mohammad…8:12, 13 (88)
7. When you meet, the unbelievers in hostility attack them and never turn back from them. If you retreat except for a strategic reason then God will punish you and will send you to hell…8:15-16 (88)
8. Keep on fighting until the persecution stops and Islam is established; one-fifth of booty belongs to God and Mohammad…8:39-41 (88)
9. Obey Mohammad, be united and persevere in fighting…8:45, 46 (88)
10. If you defeat the enemy then teach them with treachery and terror; if they ask for peace then give them peace…8:57-61 (88)
11. Rouse the believers to fight with perseverance, God will help by increasing your strength…8:65 (88)
12. Continue killing and do not take prisoners until the land is subdued then enjoy the war booty…8:67-69 (88)
13. Martyr’s sins are blotted out and they go to paradise…3:157, 169-171, 195 (89)
14. Can take women captives as concubines in addition to wives…33:50 (90)
15. There is a great reward for fighting against the friends of Satan…4:74-78 (92)
16. Fight and rouse other believers to fight; God will restrain the fury of the unbelievers…4:84 (92)
17. Kill the hypocrites if they turn renegades…4:89 (92)
18. Higher grade for fighting for God…4:95, 96 (92)
19. Guaranteed reward for fighting in the cause of God…4:100 (92)
20. Whether a fighter kills or is killed, he is admitted in paradise to reside there permanently…22:58, 59 (103)
21. Struggle for God’s cause…22:78 (103)
22. Can’t lag behind in fighting for God…48:15-16 (111)
23. Muslims are compassionate with each other but are strong to fight against the unbelievers…48:29 (111)
Phase 4: Offensive war or open declaration of attack to spread Islam
This phase is the stage of open offensive war against all the unbelievers. This phase started in 630 AD after Mohammad re-entered
Mecca and captured Kaba from the pagans. This is the phase, which is currently valid for all Muslims.
· Permission was granted by God to declare offensive war against all non-Muslims.
· Kill the pagans and humble the Jews and the Christians through Jizya tax.
· Tabuk expedition (late 630 AD) is the first war against the Christians.
· The world is divided into two houses, viz. House of Islam (Darul Islam) and the House of war (Darul Harb).
· All Muslims must fight to convert the Darul Harb into Darul Islam.
· This is the final teaching of Qur’an and so it is valid today and for future (that is, for eternity).
· Christians are included in the list of enemies (that is, the list now grows to four).
· Verse 9:5 (also called the verse of the sword) replaces all verses showing mercy, love, tolerance and forgiveness to all non-Muslims.
1. Any religion other than Islam is not acceptable…3:85 (89)
2. Kill (execute by beheading)/crucify/torture who opposes Mohammad…5:33 (112)
3. Do not make friendship with the Jews and the Christians…5:51 (112)
4. After giving four months notice break all treaties with the pagans that they did not keep; those treaties with the pagans that they kept are to be honored to their full term; in future make no more peace treaties with the pagans and kill all pagans who do not accept Islam…9:1-6 (113)
5. Pagans who accept Islam are brothers of Muslims; those who break the agreement fight them…9:11, 12, 14, 15 (113)
6. Do not make friend or seek protection from the unbelievers (includes pagans, hypocrites, Jews and the Christians)…9:16 (113)
7. Unbelievers should not visit mosques or maintain the mosques of God; they will go to hell…9:17 (113)
8. Those who do Jihad are the highest in rank; they will dwell in paradise…9:19-22 (113)
9. The unbelievers are unclean, forbid them to enter Kaba…9:28 (113)
10. Fight against the Jews and the Christians until they are subdued and pay the Jizya tax with submission; God’s curse is on them…9:29-31 (113)
11. If you do not fight in the cause of God with whatever you have got then God will punish you with a serious punishment…9:38, 39, 41 (113)
12. If you fight for God then expect either martyrdom or paradise. The unbelievers can expect only punishment from God…9:52 (113)
13. Those who are able to fight for God but do not do so are rejected by God…9:90-96 (113)
14. Whether you slay or slain in Jihad, God has promised paradise for giving all in the cause of God…9:111 (113)
15. Fight the unbelievers surrounding you…9:122 (113)
So, what do we learn from the above list of Quranic verses? Are you confused? Of course you are. When the Islamists in the west are drumming, “Islam is peace. Islam is tolerance. Islam is merciful” who will not be confused by such contradictory statements! Let me tell you something. Actually there is no confusion whatsoever if we follow the simple rule on abrogation.
This simple doctrine of abrogation says that when there are confusions (i.e. contradictory statements in Qur’an), the later verses abrogate the former contradictory verses. The result is that only the latest category of verses remains valid without any doubt. That is why it is so important to know the chronological order of verses in Qur’an.
Let us hear from a modern translator (Yusuf Ali is too old) of the Qur’an and Hadith.
“So at first ‘the fighting’ was forbidden, then it was permitted and after that it was made obligatory against those who start ‘the fighting’ against you (Muslims) and against all those who worship others along with Allah”.
(Ref. Introduction section of the English translation of Sahih Bukhari by Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan, Medina Islamic University).
In the same section Dr M. Muhsin Khan writes further
, “Then Allah revealed in Sura Bara’at (9) the order to discard (all) the obligations (covenants, etc.) and commanded the Muslims to fight against all the pagans as well as against the people of the scriptures (Jews and Christians) if they do not embrace Islam, till they pay the Jizya (a tax levied on the Jews and Christians who do not embrace Islam and are under the protection of an Islamic government) with willing submission and feel themselves subdued (9:29). So they (Muslims) were not permitted to abandon ‘the fighting’ against them (Pagans, Jews and Christians) and to reconcile with them and to suspend hostilities against them for an unlimited period while they are strong and have the possibility of fighting against them.”
Jalaluddin Suyuti wrote Itqan fi ‘ulum-il-Qur’an in 1497 AD. This book is the Tafsir (explanation) of Qur’an and is highly regarded. It is a compulsory reading for any one who wants to study Qur’an for its ‘real meanings’. His another famous book is Istenbat al-Tanzeel. In this book
Suyuti wrote,”everything in the Qur’an about forgiveness is abrogated by verse 9:5“.
Please read that above quote again if you are really serious about Islam. Remember that this verse has a chronology order of 113 (Remember? There are 114 suras in Qur’an).
Islamic apologists often quote the following verses to portray the mercy and forgiveness in Islam.
To you is your religion and to me is mine…109:6
No compulsion in religion…2:256
Turn away from those who join false gods with Allah…15:94
Unfortunately, all those ‘goodies’ of Qur’an are canceled if we follow the Tafsir (explanation) of Suyuti and the doctrine of abrogation) regarding the verse of the sword (9:5).
Islamists love Ms. Karen Armstrong for her siding with them. Ms. Karen Armstrong writes to fool the non-Muslims in believing what George Bush is drumming, ‘Islam is a peaceful religion’. Any one who has a workable knowledge on Islamic matters knows for sure that her writings are very misleading and does not tell the truth at all. When Ms. Karen Armstrong writes by quoting verse 2:190
“the only permissible war (in the Qur’an is one of self defense. Muslims must not begin hostilities”, (Time magazine October 1, 2001)
she is clearly being dishonest in telling the truth about the phase four of Islamic war which calls all Muslims to declare a total war on the house of Harb (i.e. the infidels abodes). Phase four of Jihad is valid until all the people of the world are converted to Islam. Thus, today’s Muslims are in perpetual war with the infidels whether they (the Muslims) are in an Islamic paradise like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh (recently included, previously not), Iran …or in infidel lands like USA, UK, Canada, France…etc.
Here is another quote from Alsaylu Jarar (4:518-519) by Al-Shawkani. Shawkani is a famous writer on Islamic matters. His writings are authoritative and are used by the Jihadis to justify their merciless actions.
“Islam is unanimous about fighting the unbelievers and forcing them to Islam or submitting and paying Jizya tax (protection money for the Jews and the Christians only) or being killed. The verse about forgiving them are abrogated unanimously by the obligation of fighting in any case”.
Can Ms. Karen Armstrong and other Islamists living in the comfort of non-Muslim freethinking society refute the above assertion by an eminent Alim (Islamic scholar)?
Please note that verse 9:5 is a very important verse of Qur’an. This verse marks the transition from the phase of showing mercy (phase 1) and forgiveness to the unbelievers to the phase of open aggression on them (phase 4). As told before, this verse is known as the verse of the sword. This verse cancels all the verses containing mercy, tolerance, and forgiveness to the non-Muslims (as many as 111 to 124 verses; you got to scan the entire Qur’an; anything forgiving, merciful, friendship is out).
Also, note carefully how the chronology order increases as Mohammad turns from a non-violent (like Buddha) person to a fascist nazi like Hitler/Mussolini/Osama/Ayatollah. In fact, we can safely conclude that Mohammad was a saint before the chronology order of the Qur’an was below 87 but he became a fascist dictator after this.
Again note that the chronology order in the final phase of open aggression against all non-Muslims of the world (phase 4) is almost the end (113) chapter (sura) of Qur’an (Remember? There are 114 suras in Qur’an).
Is lying allowed in Islam? I must be a nut to ask such a question! Of course, not, you say. Lying is a great sin in Islam; at least the Islamists will let us believe this. This is a complete delusion. Muslims are allowed to tell lies in order to make the religion of Islam rule the world. Would you not believe me? See for yourself what Imam Ghazali (another supreme Islamic scholar) says:
“Speaking is a means to achieve objectives. If a praise worthy aim is attainable through both telling the truth and lying, it is unlawful to accomplish through lying because there is no need for it. When it is possible to achieve such an aim by lying but not by telling the truth, it is permissible to lie if attaining the goal is permissible “ (Ref: Ahmad Ibn Naqib al-Misri, The Reliance of the Traveller, translated by Nuh Ha Mim Keller , Amana publications, 1997, section r8.2, page 745).
And what could be the noblest goal of a Muslim than to make Islam rule world? This is the secret why the Islamists constantly lie about their religion when they are in West. Because, if they tell the truth, no one will be attracted to Islam.
Islamists often attack the secularists and freethinkers whenever they (secularists/freethinkers) quote the offensive verses of the Qur’an by ‘out of context’ arguments.
What could be more clear and forceful evidences / proofs than what has been told above that ‘out of context’ argument by the Islamic apologists is a total hoax?
*A double-faced head represented Janus, a Roman god.
Kasem writes from
Sydney, Australia. Comments could be made by writing to – firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: The author relied on the English Translation of Qur’an by A. Yusufali and the English Translation of Sahih Bukhari by Dr. M. Muhsin Khan. All references given are believed to be correct. However, the author is not responsible for any misconception that a reader may have due to his consultation of other sources.
October 22, 2006
WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) _ Muslims at the U.S. Military Academy numbered just two in 2001. This year, there are 32.
Now West Point has opened its first space dedicated to Muslims, a worship hall complete with a pulpit facing Mecca. The space officially opened Thursday.
“I knew the Army had a policy of religious tolerance, but I didn’t know it was to this extent,” said first-year Cadet Ahmed Moomin, 20, from the Maldives.
Until now, Friday prayers were held in an increasingly crowded first-floor office, said Imam Asadullah, the academy’s Muslim cleric. The number of Muslim cadets jumped by 10 from last year.
The new hall is large enough for dozens of followers, he said.
West Point’s Muslim leaders approached administrators last year for help.
“We live in a world where everyone is looking at the United States saying, ‘You’re anti-Islam.’ But here at West Point, that’s not what we do,” West Point Chaplain Col. John Cook said.
Asadullah said the new hall is a strategic move.
“We have cadets here who are going to be the future of tomorrow,” he said. “If we treat them differently from other cadets or other faiths, that will be a cause for future confrontation.”
Limewoody: “Yeah, Right”.
October 21, 2006
CNSNews.com) – The antipathy that congressional Democrats have today toward President George W. Bush is reminiscent of their distrust of President Ronald Reagan during the Cold War, a political science professor says.
“We see some of the same sentiments today, in that some Democrats see the Republican president as being a threat and the true obstacle to peace, instead of seeing our enemies as the true danger,” said Paul Kengor, a political science professor at Grove City College and the author of new book, The Crusader: Ronald Reagan and the Fall of Communism.
In his book, which came out this week, Kengor focuses on a KGB letter written at the height of the Cold War that shows that Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) offered to assist Soviet leaders in formulating a public relations strategy to counter President Reagan’s foreign policy and to complicate his re-election efforts.
The letter, dated May 14, 1983, was sent from the head of the KGB to Yuri Andropov, who was then General Secretary of the Soviet Union’s Communist Party.
In his letter, KGB head Viktor Chebrikov offered Andropov his interpretation of Kennedy’s offer. Former U.S. Sen. John Tunney (D-Calif.) had traveled to Moscow on behalf of Kennedy to seek out a partnership with Andropov and other Soviet officials, Kengor claims in his book.
At one point after President Reagan left office, Tunney acknowledged that he had played the role of intermediary, not only for Kennedy but for other U.S. senators, Kengor said. Moreover, Tunney told the London Times that he had made 15 separate trips to Moscow.
“There’s a lot more to be found here,” Kengor told Cybercast News Service. “This was a shocking revelation.”
It is not evident with whom Tunney actually met in Moscow. But the letter does say that Sen. Kennedy directed Tunney to reach out to “confidential contacts” so Andropov could be alerted to the senator’s proposals.
Specifically, Kennedy proposed that Andropov make a direct appeal to the American people in a series of television interviews that would be organized in August and September of 1983, according to the letter.
“Tunney told his contacts that Kennedy was very troubled about the decline in U.S -Soviet relations under Reagan,” Kengor said. “But Kennedy attributed this decline to Reagan, not to the Soviets. In one of the most striking parts of this letter, Kennedy is said to be very impressed with Andropov and other Soviet leaders.”
In Kennedy’s view, the main reason for the antagonism between the United States and the Soviet Union in the 1980s was Reagan’s unwillingness to yield on plans to deploy middle-range nuclear missiles in Western Europe, the KGB chief wrote in his letter.
“Kennedy was afraid that Reagan was leading the world into a nuclear war,” Kengor said. “He hoped to counter Reagan’s polices, and by extension hurt his re-election prospects.”
As a prelude to the public relations strategy Kennedy hoped to facilitate on behalf of the Soviets, Kengor said, the Massachusetts senator had also proposed meeting with Andropov in Moscow — to discuss the challenges associated with disarmament.
In his appeal, Kennedy indicated he would like to have Sen. Mark Hatfield (R-Ore.) accompany him on such a trip. The two senators had worked together on nuclear freeze proposals.
But Kennedy’s attempt to partner with high-level Soviet officials never materialized. Andropov died after a brief time in office and was succeeded by Mikhail Gorbachev.
In his attempt to reach out the Soviets, Kennedy settled on a flawed receptacle for peace, Kengor said. Andropov was a much more belligerent and confrontational leader than the man who followed him, in Kengor’s estimation.
“If Andropov had lived and Gorbachev never came to power, I can’t imagine the Cold War ending peacefully like it did,” Kengor told Cybercast News Service. “Things could have gotten ugly.”
In the long run of history, Kengor believes it is evident that Reagan’s policies were vindicated while Kennedy was proven wrong. In fact, as he points out in his book, Kennedy himself made a “gracious concession” after Reagan died, crediting the 40th president with winning the Cold War.
October 16, 2006
WASHINGTON , D.C. (October 16, 2006) — A new poll, using neutral language, finds intense voter concern over immigration in 14 tight congressional races. The surveys were conducted by the polling company for the Center for Immigration Studies.
In addition to a national survey, detailed polling on immigration was conducted in four contested Senate races (click on the state/district to see the results): Missouri, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Montana; and in 10 contested House races: Arizona 5th, Connecticut 4th, Indiana 8th, Kentucky 4th, Pennsylvania 6th, Texas 17th, Louisiana 3rd, Georgia 8th, Colorado 7th, and Ohio 6th.
Among the findings:
Immigration is a big issue throughout country. Of likely voters nationally, 53 percent said immigration was either their most important issue or one of their top three issues, while just 8 percent said it was not at all important. With the exception of CT-4th, in races surveyed only about 10 percent of voters said it was not important at all.
When told numbers, voters want less immigration. When told the actual number of immigrants here (legal and illegal) and the number coming (legal and illegal), and asked to put aside the question of legal status, 68 percent of voters nationally thought immigration was too high, 21 percent about right, and just 2 percent thought it was too low. In every congressional race surveyed, the share who said overall immigration was too low was in the single digits.
Voters less likely to vote for immigration-increasing candidates. Experts agree that the bill recently passed by the Senate would at least double future legal immigration, yet 70 percent of voters said they would be less likely to vote for a candidate who wanted to double legal immigration. Overwhelming majorities in every battleground race feel the same way.
Voters reject extremes of legalization or mass deportations. Some previous polls have shown support for legalizing illegal immigrants. But those polls have given the public only a choice between large-scale deportations or an earned legalization, and not the third choice of across-the-board enforcement, causing illegals to go home. This third option, which is the basis of the bill passed by the US House, is voters’ top choice.
U.S. House immigration plan by far the favorite. Enforcement approaches with no increase in legal immigration were the most popular policy option — 44 percent wanted enforcement that causes illegals to go home, the US House’s approach, and another 20 percent wanted large-scale deportations. Just 31 percent supported a legalization.
Intensity stronger among enforcement supporters. Nationally, 32 percent of voters said they would be much more likely to vote for a candidate who would enforce the law and cause illegals to go home, compared to just 15 percent who said they would be much more likely to vote for a candidate who supports legalization. This same pattern holds in battleground contests.
Voters skeptical of need for unskilled immigrant labor. More than 70 percent of voters nationally agreed that there were, “plenty of Americans to do low-wage jobs that require relatively little education, employers just need to pay higher wages and treat workers better to attract Americans,” compared to 21 percent who said we need immigrants because there were not enough Americans to do all such jobs. The results were very similar in all the contested states and districts surveyed.
Voters think lack of enforcement is reason for illegal immigration. Three out of four voters in the nation agreed that the reason we have illegal immigration is that past enforcement efforts have before “grossly inadequate.” Voters strongly reject the argument that illegal immigration is caused by overly restrictive legal immigration policies. Strong majorities in every battleground contest surveyed felt this way.
Numbers make a difference. One key finding is that when told the scale of immigration (legal and illegal), voters overwhelming thought it was too high. Also when told how much the Senate bill would increase legal immigration voters tended to reject it. This would seem to undermine the argument that voters are only concerned about illegality and not the level of immigration. The level of immigration used in the questions are those widely agreed upon by experts based on government data.
For more information, contact Steven Camarota at (202) 466-8185 email@example.com or Kellyanne Conway at (202) 667-6557.
# # #
The Center for Immigration Studies is an independent research institute
which examines the impact of immigration on the United States.